LIC SIIP (LIC Systematic Funding Insurance coverage Plan) is a Common premium ULIP. As with ULIPs, the returns are market-linked. However the plan has a lot costly value construction in comparison with new ULIPs we see lately. Higher to remain away.
LIC SIIP plan is an everyday premium ULIP from LIC. As I see, the nomenclature has been chosen to journey the recognition of SIPs (systematic funding plans) in mutual funds. Although there may be nothing mistaken with the identify, the selection appears intentionally deceptive. We should see this within the context of ranges of economic consciousness within the nation. Given how a lot buyers belief LIC, the plan would have offered effectively below any identify. LIC might have achieved with higher identify choice.
Let’s go previous the
nomenclature and discover in regards to the LIC SIIP intimately.
LIC SIIP (Plan 852): Salient
Options and Evaluation
- It’s a unit-linked insurance coverage plan (ULIP). This implies there isn’t any assure of returns.
- This can be a Sort I ULIP. On the time of demise, the nominee will get Increased of (Sum Assured, Fund Worth). Underneath a Sort II ULIP, the nominee will get Sum Assured + Fund Worth. Every thing else being the identical, Sort I ULIP supplies higher returns whereas the Sort II ULIP supplies higher life cowl.
- Coverage Time period: 10 to 25 years
- Common Premium plan (Premium fee time period similar as coverage time period)
- Premium Fee Frequency: Month-to-month, Quarterly, Half-yearly, Yearly
- Sum Assured: Depends upon your entry age
- Entry age as much as 55 years: 10 instances the annualized premium
- Entry age 55 years and above: 7 instances the annualized premium
- Eligibility: I reproduce a picture from the product brochure
- Fees within the plan: Premium allocation prices, the Mortality prices, fund administration prices, switching prices, partial withdrawal cost, and so on. Will talk about these later within the publish.
- You CAN NOT get a mortgage below LIC SIIP plan. Loans aren’t permitted for ULIPs.
- You may have 4 fund selections (Bond Fund, Secured Fund, Balanced Fund, Development Fund)
LIC SIIP Plan (Plan 852): Varied
Fees and their influence
For a deeper understanding about numerous forms of prices in ULIPs, how they’re adjusted and their influence on returns, check with this publish.
The ULIPs have the
similar nomenclature for the costs. I’ll level out areas the place LIC SIIP is
higher or worse than different widespread ULIPs.
Premium allocation cost: This cost is deducted from the premium earlier than your cash will get invested. It’s expressed as a proportion of premium. GST can be relevant on these prices.
In LIC SIIP plan,
Premium allocation cost is
Due to this fact, if you happen to
make investments Rs 1 lacs every year within the plan, Rs 9,400 (incl. 18% GST) will probably be
charged in case of offline buy and Rs 3,540 (incl. 18% GST) in case of
on-line buy. The remaining cash will get invested however will probably be topic to different
From the second
until the 5th yr, Rs 6,490 will probably be charged in case of offline and
Rs 2,360 will probably be charged in case of on-line plan.
From the 6th
yr onwards, Rs 3,540 and Rs 1,180 will probably be charged for offline and on-line
At a time when personal insurers are transferring in direction of zero premium allocation cost a minimum of for on-line gross sales, these prices are exorbitant.
Mortality prices: These prices go in direction of offering you the life cowl. The mortality prices rely in your age and are recovered each month by way of the cancellation of fund models each month. I reproduce the mortality cost desk from pattern coverage doc on LIC web site.
Mortality prices improve with age. In case you are outdated, mortality prices will have an effect on your returns extra. On the similar time, since this can be a Sort I ULIP (sum-at-risk = Sum Assured – Fund Worth), the influence of mortality prices will probably be decrease. Sum-at-risk is the quantity that the insurance coverage firm should pay within the occasion of policyholder demise. In Sort-I ULIPs, because the fund worth will increase, the Sum-at-risk goes down. Due to this fact, the influence of mortality prices additionally goes down.
I discovered the
prices barely greater than among the ULIPs from personal corporations that I
LIC SIIP Plan: Return of
There’s a provision
that the mortality prices will probably be returned to the investor on the time of
maturity. Solely the bottom prices will probably be returned to the investor. Any taxes or extra
because of your well being situation received’t be reimbursed. This will probably be paid as well as
to the fund worth.
In isolation, that is an investor-friendly gesture. Nevertheless, this received’t make a lot distinction to your returns.
Since you get
solely absolutely the mortality prices. No return is given on these prices. As talked about earlier, taxes and extra received’t
be returned both.
this can be a Sort-I ULIP, the quantum of mortality cost will go down yearly and
finally go to zero as soon as the Fund Worth exceeds the Sum Assured.
Regardless of how we
spin it, every part comes from the costs.
received’t be returned for surrendered or discontinued insurance policies or within the occasion of demise
in the course of the coverage time period. These prices are returned provided that the policyholder survives
the coverage time period.
LIC SIIP: Assured Additions
The plan supplies
assured additions too (type of loyalty advantages).
I talked about assured additions in my publish on LIC Nivesh Plus (a single premium ULIP from LIC. These are simply advertising and marketing gimmicks. Every thing finally comes out of your cash.
LIC SIIP plan: How will the maturity
proceeds be taxed?
The dying profit is all the time exempt from tax.
The identical just isn’t
true for the maturity profit.
For maturity proceeds to be exempt from tax, the Sum Assured needs to be a minimum of 10 instances the annual premium. If this situation just isn’t met, the maturity proceeds are taxable. There’s TDS of 5% too.
In case your age on the
time of entry within the plan is lower than 55 years, your life cowl (Sum Assured)
will probably be 10 instances Annual Premium. No tax downside on this case. The maturity
proceeds will probably be exempt from tax.
Nevertheless, in case your entry age is 55 or above, the Sum Assured is 7 instances the annual premium. Whereas this helps you save a bit on mortality prices, the flipside is that the maturity proceeds will probably be taxable.
LIC SIIP plan: What are the returns
I reproduce the
illustration given within the gross sales brochure.
reveals returns for gross funding returns of 4% and eight% p.a. (as mandated by
IRDA). Being a ULIP, you’ll count on the investments to earn the next return
however that’s not necessary proper now. The returns may even rely in your age
and the funds chosen.
Let’s take into account the instance with a coverage time period of 25 years and gross returns of 8% p.a. The investor pays a quarterly premium of Rs 30,000 for 25 years and will get Rs 69.17 lacs on the time of maturity. Word that is together with Return of Mortality prices and Assured Additions. Whole funding was Rs 30 lacs.
This can be a internet return of 6.07% p.a. 1.94% p.a. of your return gone because of numerous prices.
In case your funding earned 8% p.a. you’ll have Rs ~92.07 lacs on the finish of 25 years. LIC SIIP prices eat away 37% of the gross returns. Not achieved.
Factors to Word
- The returns will probably be greater (decrease) if the gross returns are greater (decrease).
- The returns will probably be decrease (greater) if the entry age is greater (decrease).
- This illustration is for an offline plan (by way of an agent). Offline plans have greater prices. On-line plans are cheaper. Every thing else being the identical, the web plan will give higher returns.
- This illustration is for a 30-year-old. For this investor, the Sum Assured is 10 instances the annual premium. Therefore, the maturity proceeds will probably be exempt from tax.
- For the entry age 55 years or above, the Sum Assured is barely 7 instances Annual Premium. Therefore, the maturity proceeds will probably be taxable. The dying profit will nonetheless be exempt from tax. There isn’t any illustration for this case within the gross sales brochure.
LIC SIIP: Must you make investments?
I counsel you don’t.
Please maintain your insurance coverage and funding wants separate.
On your insurance coverage
wants, buy a plain vanilla time period life insurance coverage plan.
On your funding
wants, buy pure funding merchandise (and low-cost merchandise) akin to PPF,
mutual funds and so on.
Nonetheless, if you happen to should make investments on this plan, buy the plan on-line. Moreover, word that, in case your entry age is 55 or above, the maturity proceeds will probably be taxable.
The publish was first printed in March 2020.
- LIC SIIP Plan (Plan 852): Product Brochure
- LIC SIIP Plan (Plan 852): Coverage wordings
- LIC Nivesh Plus web page on LIC web site
- The best way to choose the Greatest ULIP?
- Why I desire Mutual Funds over ULIPs?
- ICICI Prudential Life Signature ULIP
- How numerous prices in ULIPs destroy your returns?
- In a ULIP, you pay extra for the life cowl as in comparison with Time period Life Insurance coverage Plans
- In conventional plans and ULIPs, your age impacts your returns
- The issue with Single Premium Life Insurance coverage Plans
- The Whole Life Insurance coverage Premium just isn’t tax–deductible
- In case you are outdated, don’t purchase ULIPs