Set off warning: This episode discusses content material some listeners could discover upsetting.
Journalist Davis Janowski grew up within the Panhandle of Florida, the place he grew accustomed to sunny climate and developed a deep ardour for the good open air. However when he moved to Syracuse, N.Y., at age 25 for grad faculty, the chilly climate and lack of daylight and train started to affect his psychological well being. The stress of a full workload in school, in addition to a part-time job additional exacerbated the issue.
The strain grew to become a lot for him to deal with that sooner or later he determined he was going to take his life. Fortunately, a pal known as him proper at that second; Davis informed him what he’d performed, and emergency crews got here to assist.
That was step one in Davis’s journey of being identified with main recurring melancholy and getting assist and the proper therapies for this psychological sickness.
On this episode, Diana Britton, managing editor of WealthManagement.com, is joined by Davis Janowski, senior know-how editor of WealthManagement.com, who opens up for the primary time publicly about his years-long battle with melancholy, and the way his love for kayaking and being out on the open water has helped convey him out of it.
- When he discovered he had melancholy and the way he reacted
- His try at suicide
- How he got here again from a darkish place
- When his melancholy got here again years later
- What he discovered about treating his melancholy and anxiousness throughout his hospital keep at Tisch
- How remedy has helped along with his melancholy
- How kayaking, paddle boarding and being open air has helped enhance his high quality of life, in addition to his melancholy signs